ADDRESS: avenue Wiśniowa 36, 53-137 Wrocław
The Jewish Hospital
At the end of the 19th century, the Jewish Commune in Wrocław decided to build a modern hospital that would meet the needs of the constantly growing Jewish community in Silesia and the requirements of contemporary medicine. The impressive hospital complex, financed entirely by private donors, was built in 1901-1903 according to the design of Reinhard Herold. Six buildings were located on a large plot of land in the Krzyki district. In the inner courtyard there was a park which, in combination with picturesque architectural elements inspired by the Silesian Renaissance, created the peaceful atmosphere of a sanatorium. At the time of construction, it was already the most modern and one of the largest hospitals in Wrocław; it was also the second largest Jewish hospital in Germany, after Berlin. It was equipped with aseptic operating rooms, an x-ray laboratory, and spacious and brightly lit rooms for patients. Inside the hospital there was a synagogue used by the staff and patients. Although the functioning of the hospital was financed exclusively by contributions of members of the Jewish community, until 1933 it offered free treatment to all those in need, irrespective of their nationality, religion or financial status. Many prominent doctors worked here, including the famous neurosurgeon Ludwig Guttmann, who, after emigrating to England, become an avid promoter of sport for disabled people, which eventually led to the creation of the Paralympics. In 1939, the Nazi authorities requisitioned the hospital and allocated it for military purposes. During the siege of Wrocław during World War II, the complex was seriously damaged. After the war, the remaining buildings were taken over by the Polish State Railways. Following a renovation and expansion, the hospital opened in 1970 as the District Railway Hospital. Later, the hospital became famous for its plastic surgery department where the first abdominal flap-based breast reconstruction and the first sex reassignment surgery in Poland were performed. In 2015, the hospital was closed down. Currently, the complex is owned by OKRE DEVELOPMENT and functions as an office space called Pod Ciśnieniem.
ADDRESS: ul. Sudecka 96, 53-110 Wrocław